Summary of the EU Regulation 181/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 February 2011
Subject to certain exceptions, this regulation applies to passengers travelling with regular services within the European Union (EU) and where the scheduled distance of the service is 250 km or more. Some of its provisions apply to all services, including those of shorter distance.
There are certain exemptions to this Regulation which apply to the regular services within the Republic of Croatia as well as to the international regular services with at least one scheduled stop outside the European Union.
The new rights applicable to all services include:
- non discriminate on nationality or where your ticket is purchased,
- non refuse travel based on the grounds of disability or reduced mobility, (unless health and safety requirements or vehicle design/infrastructure make it possible)
- financial compensation for loss or damage of their mobility equipment when is proven carriers fault,
- minimum rules on travel information for all passengers before and during their journey as well as general information about their rights in terminals and online; where feasible, this information shall be provided in accessible formats upon request precisely in the interest of the persons with reduced mobility,
- a complaint handling mechanism by carriers available to all passengers,
- dealing with complaints within 3 months of receipt.
The rights of passengers travelling with regular services within the European Union where the scheduled distance of the service is 250 km or more (they do not apply to bus and coach transport within the Republic of Croatia and the international transport between an EU and a non-EU country) include among other the following:
- guarantee of reimbursement or rerouting in situations of overbooking or in case of cancellation or following a delay of more than 120 minutes from the estimated time of departure,
- adequate assistance in situations of cancellation or following a delay of more than 90 minutes in the case of a journey of more than three hours,
- Information when the service is cancelled or delayed in departure.
- protection of passengers in case of death, injury, loss or damage caused by road accidents, particularly with regard to immediate practical needs in case of accident.
A full version of the legislation is available on:
EU Regulation 181/2011 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32011R0181
Croatian Act www.nn.hr
The national body in Croatia is the Ministry of maritime affairs, transport and infrastructure.
If you feel your rights as a passenger have been breached, please contact us on:
p.p. 288, 51000 Rijeka
e-mail: [email protected]